FloridaStreetScene

Go Back   FloridaStreetScene > Community Forums > OFF TOPIC > Computer, Electronics, and Gaming

Notices

Computer, Electronics, and Gaming Technology, Computer Talk, ect.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Bone
Admin & Student

Bone has a brilliant future 100-124Bone has a brilliant future 100-124
Default Audacity: Audio recording/editing/cutting (can edit MP3s as well)

Audacity is a simple free program that you can use to record audio, cut it up, edit it, and output it into several formats including .MP3. You can even edit the ID3v2(or 1) tags to read as you like on the final cut.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. Learn more about Audacity... Also check our Wiki and Forum for more information.
The latest release of Audacity is 1.3.7 (Beta). Because it is a work in progress and does not yet come with complete documentation or translations into foreign languages, it is recommended for more advanced users. See New Features in 1.3 for more information about the 1.3.x Beta series.
For all users, Audacity 1.2.6 is a stable release, complete and fully documented. You can have Audacity 1.2.6 and 1.3.7 installed on the same machine.
For MP3 output you'll need the LAME MP3 plugin:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...&item=lame-mp3

and optionally, Change the recording settings to Stereo (will work best if you have a stereo microphone but also helpful if you are messing with MP3 formats as well. the default setting is to record in mono.. Mono will do just fine if you are recording voice, don't know if it really changes the file sizes that much though.... The majority of voice recorders record in mono as it is.

Thanks to UnkalledFor for the information on this program as well as the images posted above.
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
3.1beretta

3.1beretta has much to be proud of, 50-99

Audacity is a great little program. Would recommend it to anyone.
3.1beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Bone
Admin & Student

Has anyone been using the 3.7 version and is it all that different from the stable version that they have on there?

just curious if it's all that much better or if it's just minimal kind of stuff
Old 02-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Bone
Admin & Student

here is a cool little trick to make life a shit load easier when putting tracks together, also if the computer gets shut down before you get a chance to save your work or the program crashes.

Quote:
How do I combine two tracks into one single track?

Follow these steps to splice two files together:
  1. Import both files into Audacity.
  2. Select the second one by clicking on its label (the area around the mute/solo buttons).
  3. Choose “Find Zero Crossings” from the Edit menu.
  4. Choose “Cut” from the Edit menu.
  5. Place the cursor by clicking in the first track, after the end of the audio. (you can place the cursor any point after the end of the track you will be pasting into!)
  6. Choose “Paste” from the Edit menu.
You can press the Play button to hear the result, and use the Export commands (in the File menu) to save it as a sound file.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
unkalledfor
True Story.

unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225

I love Audacity.. has saved me a lot of time and headaches at work and home

2001 Accord
LX Coupe 2.3l (R.I.P. ) - HID pics
---------------------------------------------------------

"Being an ugly woman is like being a man... I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to work" -Daniel Tosh
unkalledfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkalledfor View Post
I love Audacity.. has saved me a lot of time and headaches at work and home
what do you use it for at work?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
unkalledfor
True Story.

unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225unkalledfor has a reputation beyond repute 200-225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
what do you use it for at work?
Well I work at a school.. so they constantly need me to edit music and audio for plays or other school productions like videos and stuff.. especially at the end of the year because each teacher does an end of the year special for the parents..

but this helps me do quicker edits and format conversions without using different programs... everything I need is in one place

2001 Accord
LX Coupe 2.3l (R.I.P. ) - HID pics
---------------------------------------------------------

"Being an ugly woman is like being a man... I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to work" -Daniel Tosh
unkalledfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkalledfor View Post
Well I work at a school.. so they constantly need me to edit music and audio for plays or other school productions like videos and stuff.. especially at the end of the year because each teacher does an end of the year special for the parents..

but this helps me do quicker edits and format conversions without using different programs... everything I need is in one place
true, I like how it's pretty easy to remove the lead vocals from songs too.

just import the stereo sound, split it, then select the second track, invert it then change them to mono and bam most every track will no longer have the lead vocals. lmao. I likes!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
Bone
Admin & Student

I've been going back and forth between the stable version 1.2.6 and the beta 1.3.7 and damn the differences in 1.3.7 are major!

but earlier tonight for some reason I got a lot little electronic like squashing sounds in my audio every so many seconds, IDK what that all was about but I think I'll just record in 1.2.6 and then format it in 1.3.7. the MP3 options in 1.3.7 are just GREAT, you can do variable bitrate and everything!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Relyks
WTF FYL!

Relyks has a brilliant future 100-124Relyks has a brilliant future 100-124

its good for being free i use it sometimes to record my band in our studio

[06-11, 21:38] coconutmnky im a gay faggot
[06-11, 21:38] coconutmnky hell i like shit in my ass

98 mitsubishi eclipse : DD for sale $3000 OBO
Relyks is offline   Reply With Quote