FloridaStreetScene

Go Back   FloridaStreetScene > Community Forums > General Automotive Discusions

Notices

General Automotive Discusions Discuss your problems, solutions or any other automotive topic, give and get technical help here also. Import or Domestic, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Bone
Admin & Student

Bone has a brilliant future 100-124Bone has a brilliant future 100-124
Default Create your own CLEAR REFLECTOR or other plastic parts, how to

This was taken from NASIOC.com, I thought you guys would want to check this out as it seems to be a pretty damn good idea and I'm sure someone on here could use the tips in this at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earipse
Ok so for those of you that have been waiting for it .....here it is......this procedure can be used to make any reflector (clear or not) or other piece you can image. You just need an original to make to mold and then you can duplicate the piece in different colors, plastics, and rubber.

The quantities of materials are for a single '06 headlight reflector but the ratio is still the same for any other part.

MATERIALS:

-Silicone Mold Rubber (I bought mine from MicroMark.com but check the hobby shops so you can avoid shipping cost) I recommend the silicone mold over the plastic hard molds because they are easier to work with and getting the part out
Micro-Mark One-to-One/Rapid 32oz =$32 + 10ship = $42

-Clear Casting Resin - I tried two different ones having really good results
with one of them, the other one (Allumilite Water Clear) was really hard to prepare needing a vacuum chamber and really fast hands.
Castin'Craft Clear Liquid Plastic Casting Resin = $15 (bought at local craft store)

-Catalyst - In the case that the resin does not come with a catalyst you will need to buy one separe, this will start the hardening process of the resin.
Castin'Craft Catalyst = $5 (bought at local crafts store)

-Modeling Clay - I had some laying around the house so I donít know how much it cost, you can buy it at craft stores or hobby shops. You can also use playdough if you know anyone with kids

-Mixing cups & Stick- these should be WAX FREE cups, I got plastic cups from the water cooler at work and a branch from one of trees in the yard

-60cc Syringe - although not really needed it will make the pouring process 100 times easier. Without it I found it almost impossible to pour without getting any bubbles

[color=red]PROCEDURE:

1 - Prepare the part to make the mold, which will be a two-part mold. Wash the part with soap and water to get as clean as possible, the slightest imperfection will show up on the mold, even fingerprints.
2 - you will need pieces of cardboard to create an enclosure for the part. Lay the part flat on the cardboard and look underneath, any open space you see will need to be filled with the clay. This is done so that the mold silicone will only cover one side of the part.

3 - Once all the gaps are covered under the reflector enclose it using other pieces of cardboard and duct tape. Try to get the side walls about 1/2" away from the part, any more will be wasting silicone and less will make the mold weak.

The image only shows 3 sides covered but you need to do all four sides. Also although I did them both at the same time I recommend doing them separate, later on I ended up cutting them apart so that I could work on one of them at a time.

4 - Mix and pour the silicone mold. Pour about 1/4 of each of the mold bottles in a cup and mix very well. Try not to create any air bubbles, this is not really important for the mold but it will give you practice for when you mix the clear resin. Once mixed pour over the part, try to pour from a high distance making a really thin stream of silicone.

This should take only a couple of hours to dry

5 - Once dry take the sides walls off and peal away the bottom cardboard. You should now have a hole at the bottom with reflector imbedded. Also take the reflector out of the mold and remove all the modeling clay; you might have to wash the part again to clean all the clay off it.

6 - you are now ready to make the other side of the mold. Insert the reflector back in the mold and place upside down (reflector showing). Reuse the cardboard side walls and tape them against the sides of the mold, this will keep the other side of the mold from overflowing.

7 - Mix another 1/4 of the silicone mold liquids in a new cup and pour over the reflector. You should have enough silicone to fill the hole and have some come out of the sides; the side walls will contain the rest of it.

8 - Once dry pry apart both sides of the mold and remove the reflector. Use an ex-acto knife and cut a small hole on the topside of the mold, this will allow air to escape when pouring the resin. The location of the hole will not matter but remember that you will have a stub that will need to be cup where the hole was, so placing the hole at an edge is recommended. I placed my hole right above the leg with the bolt hole (sorry I donít have any pics of this right now but I will take one when I get home today)

9 - With the mold ready you will now start to create your clear reflector (THERE ARE PIGMENTS THAT YOU CAN ADD TO THE CLEAR RESIN AND CREATE ANY COLOR REFLECTOR IF WANT, CHECK THE CRAFTS STORE WHERE YOU BUY THE RESIN FOR COLORS)

In a cup pour 25 cc (ml) of the resin. HINT: I measured the quantity with the syringe using water and poured in a cup, then I marked the level using a marker so that I would know how much resin to pour. If you donít have a syringe to measure this should be about 1/2" from the bottom of a small SOLO plastic cup.

10 - Add 30 drops of the catalyst (NO LESS THAN 25), less than 30 will give you more working time but will add about 1-2 more days of drying time, more than 30 will cut the working time and drying time dramatically. MIX VERY WELL WITHOUT INTRODUCING BUBBLES, this will take some practice. YOU WILL HAVE ABOUT 10 MINS TO WORK SO TRY TO BE QUICK

Working time is the time you have until it starts hardening, once this happens you CANNOT pour and will be almost impossible to create the part, drying time is the time it will take to fully harden.

11 - Pour the resin in the syringe (you do not need to insert the push side of the resin, gravity will make it flow at a nice controlled pace.)

12 - THIS STEP WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A REALLY GOOD REFLECTOR AND ONE FULL OF BUBBLES SO TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT. Gently rub the resin on the side of the mold with the diamond cut to get the resin in all the little holes, if you do it slowly without pressing to hard you can get the resin the flow without trapping any air bubbles.

13 - Once you have covered all the holes with resin pour the rest in the other side of the mold and move it around to cover the whole bottom, and then insert the top of the mold. SOME RESIN WILL FLOW OUT OF THE ESCAPE HOLE YOU MADE BEFORE, THIS IS OK AND IS PURPOSELY DONE TO LET AIR EASCAPE.

14 - Let the reflector dry for about 24 hours before you take it out of the mold, You will need to run an ex-acto knife around the edges and to cut the stub where the air escape hole was.

Sorry I donít have pictures of the headlight in the car because I am thinking about painting the background of it and have not decided what color.....maybe blue.

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE JUST CREATED YOUR OWN CLEAR (OR COLOR IF YOU CLOSE TO USE THE PIGMENT) REFLECTOR.......REMEMBER THE MORE YOU DO IT THE BETTER YOUR REFLECTOR WILL COME

If you have any questions just ask, you can also PM me. ENJOY
original thread is located here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1236593

some other pics he posted along with more info:
Quote:
More PICS

crafts stores and hobby shops carry them if you want them right away.......internet might be cheaper thought. this is the site where i got the mold material

http://www.micromark.com/
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Bushido90
HCoupe02

Bushido90 has much to be proud of, 50-99

Def deserves a sticky! :cool:

Bushido90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
91REX

91REX has much to be proud of, 50-99

I have to find out if i can just flip over my turn signal on the crx one is broken. This is one of the coolest things i have ever seen. I can only wonder the applications for this. Now im off to think what i want to make.
91REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
1JZZ30
Toyota Test Pilot

1JZZ30 has a reputation beyond repute 200-2251JZZ30 has a reputation beyond repute 200-2251JZZ30 has a reputation beyond repute 200-2251JZZ30 has a reputation beyond repute 200-2251JZZ30 has a reputation beyond repute 200-225

you are one crafty mofo ! you should put this on instructables.com

1JZZ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JZZ30 View Post
you are one crafty mofo ! you should put this on instructables.com
I'm not the one that came up with this I found this on another site, the address is at the top of the 1st post.

I however am working on this for some parts for a friend that don't seem to be available anywere. He want's to replace some covers for some lights on the inside of his car. I have the molds drying up right now. I hope they are done by the morning, then It's on to make the parts. I hope they turn out good. This will be the second time using this method.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
amhonduh

amhonduh has much to be proud of, 50-99

wow. you can probably make more than reflectors
amhonduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Bone
Admin & Student

was looking through this area and found this again, I think I'm going to have to make me some more parts for my MR2 here pretty so I might just be using these tips again. I had made a couple small parts for a friend a while back I think I'm going to use this to work form my self now.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Stangtuner
Eaton Poosi

Stangtuner has a brilliant future 100-124

Wow. That is crafty!

$85 HID Any make or Model! Click. 786-294-5676
www.StangTunePerformance.com
Stangtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
MRROLO150

MRROLO150 has a brilliant future 100-124MRROLO150 has a brilliant future 100-124

Dam this looks mad nice ! If some one in Miami can do this PM me..
Miami Area Subsquad Leader

MRROLO150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
slamedEK
parked4now

slamedEK has much to be proud of, 50-99

fucking sick dude he gets mad props from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRROLO150 View Post
Dam this looks mad nice ! If some one in Miami can do this PM me..
x2

hey bone where u at i mingt hav to pay u to do a few for me $$$$$$ lol
slamedEK is offline   Reply With Quote