FloridaStreetScene

Go Back   FloridaStreetScene > Community Forums > Automotive Lighting / Audio / Visual / Etc...

Notices

Automotive Lighting / Audio / Visual / Etc... Car audio and In Car Entertainment (ICE) forum. Wiring questions, concerns, ideas, what has been done... they all go here.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Bone
Admin & Student

Bone has a brilliant future 100-124Bone has a brilliant future 100-124
Default Got in some LEDs for the bike.

Just got in one of my shipments from china...

It's a set of RGB LEDs, for some reason one of the strips green channel is not working but that's not a big deal. I have another set of these coming in so one out of 20 having an issue isn't bad and I may be able to fix that one. I just have to take a close look at it, for all I know there is a bad connection on it. I will inspect later tonight. I'll have at least 30 pods on the bike when I'm done and it will only be drawing around 20W total, so that is nothing to worry about.

None of them will be visible from any angle on the bike unless you want to lay on the ground and look up at the bike. I should be able to get some pretty high intensity out of these in the areas that I want them to shine. They are a little bigger than I expected but that's not a big deal either. They will still easily fit where I plan to put them.

I will also be hooking up the new power supply as well later tonight after my test at the campus.

I just need to make sure that the power supply will work completely with these. I have a couple other types of power supplies coming in so I might just wait for those to show up before I go nuts and mess with anything else. The other power supplies put out a lot less power then the one I have right now. Which will be good as it will add some good life to these LEDs as I wont be over driving them at all.

The light output on these is pretty intense...
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Bone
Admin & Student

Did a quick test of the system tonight:

Just a quick test of the LEDs with controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s93TUGMJucw

Go to YouTube Video page.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
srp21y

srp21y has much to be proud of, 50-99

Those things are really bright! Almost blinding if you mess up and look at them. The different patterns that you showed us the other night were nice also. When are you going to put them on your bike? And I don't think you need any more LEDs than you already have, they were more than bright enough.
srp21y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp21y View Post
Those things are really bright! Almost blinding if you mess up and look at them. The different patterns that you showed us the other night were nice also. When are you going to put them on your bike? And I don't think you need any more LEDs than you already have, they were more than bright enough.
Yeah, they are rather bright. I was actually a little shocked at just how bright they are. I'm not completely sure where I'm going to be able to mount them fro the side vent areas on the bike because of the amount of heat that comes off the motor. I was thinking about that the other day as I was riding and my legs were getting hit with all that heat.

I'm going to add some extra lights just for the purposes of evening out the light. I'm also working on setting up a small strip box to aim the light straight down off the back of the bike behind the license plate but I haven't found the right size piece of aluminum to use for making the box just yet. I'm also waiting on the molex connectors that I ordered as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
divineknight

divineknight has much to be proud of, 50-99
Default very cool

very cool
divineknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
srp21y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Yeah, they are rather bright. I was actually a little shocked at just how bright they are. I'm not completely sure where I'm going to be able to mount them fro the side vent areas on the bike because of the amount of heat that comes off the motor. I was thinking about that the other day as I was riding and my legs were getting hit with all that heat.

I'm going to add some extra lights just for the purposes of evening out the light. I'm also working on setting up a small strip box to aim the light straight down off the back of the bike behind the license plate but I haven't found the right size piece of aluminum to use for making the box just yet. I'm also waiting on the molex connectors that I ordered as well.
Are you talking about the heat from the radiator? Maybe you could mount them up high in that area, that might get them out of the way from the heat off the radoator or so you thing what will still be too close to the motor for when you are parked?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp21y View Post
Are you talking about the heat from the radiator? Maybe you could mount them up high in that area, that might get them out of the way from the heat off the radoator or so you thing what will still be too close to the motor for when you are parked?
essentially yes, I was wanting to put them in that area but I think I might have come up with a decent solution to the problem. I might just have to either reduce the power in that area or just light it from the bottom so that when I stop the heat will rise and not be as much of an issue for the LEDs in that zone. I'll have to experiment though with some various things and maybe run a few tests as to what kinds of heat will be given to objects in the area that I want to put LEDs and may have to do some heat shielding to prevent over heating the PODs.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
srp21y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
essentially yes, I was wanting to put them in that area but I think I might have come up with a decent solution to the problem. I might just have to either reduce the power in that area or just light it from the bottom so that when I stop the heat will rise and not be as much of an issue for the LEDs in that zone. I'll have to experiment though with some various things and maybe run a few tests as to what kinds of heat will be given to objects in the area that I want to put LEDs and may have to do some heat shielding to prevent over heating the PODs.
Cool, I hope it works out.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
eghatch4u

eghatch4u is respected, 10-11 points

rice rice baby.
eghatch4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
srp21y

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghatch4u View Post
rice rice baby.
Why are LED lights rice? If it helps him to be seen more then why not?