FloridaStreetScene

Go Back   FloridaStreetScene > Community Forums > Automotive Lighting / Audio / Visual / Etc...

Notices

Automotive Lighting / Audio / Visual / Etc... Car audio and In Car Entertainment (ICE) forum. Wiring questions, concerns, ideas, what has been done... they all go here.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Bone
Admin & Student

Bone has a brilliant future 100-124Bone has a brilliant future 100-124
Default Building a 700mA LED driver, pirating a design.

So I found some LED drivers on good ole fleabay, LOL. I need something to power the Rebel LEDs that I'm planning to use in my next project so I wanted to find something that would power them near their max but do it reliably.

After doing some digging and chatting with a guy on another forum that used the same units to power his rebel LEDs, He mentioned that he had to go through several of the drivers before he was able to find units that would actually put out the right power, many of them were putting out more than 700mA and thus would burn up the LEDs in only a short time.

I got him to send me a few of the left overs so that I can try to copy their design and just use higher grade parts so that I get better results and more consistent results as well.

Here is an image of the boards and some of the design. I'm still working on IDing all the parts but for the most part I've got them down and once I'm finished I'll order up some higher grade parts and I'll etch out some of my own boards and then see how good or bad the results are and go from there.

Click here for a large image of the boards: WARNING VERY LARGE IMAGE
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Bone
Admin & Student

Well, after looking at all the components on this setup it looks like this a pretty inefficient design and I will have to scrap this one and find anther design. I liked the idea of this design but it's just not going to yield me any kind of good results.

It seems this design was designed around idiots so that there isn't any issue when they connect the supply to the power backwards. I mean I get why they did it but it's just dumb imo... I might just take those diodes out and continue on but I'll see what happens.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
srp21y

srp21y has much to be proud of, 50-99

You were talking about this the other day during the party. will if end up with as much light from them as the normal bulbs that are in their now or will you have to use a bunchof these? I might want to do something like this to my R1 if you can get something together that wont need to be replaced too soon.

You were talkinga bout how you would also need to cool them, how would you do that out of a turn signal like mine?
srp21y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Bone
Admin & Student

They wouldn't need that much cooling, it may not even require external cooling but I will have to experiment with them once I get all the parts together and do a little research on how much heat they will produce at different power levels Once I establish how much power the rebel LEDs will need to not be cooled externally.

Basically it's going to take a while of research and experimentation.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
srp21y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
They wouldn't need that much cooling, it may not even require external cooling but I will have to experiment with them once I get all the parts together and do a little research on how much heat they will produce at different power levels Once I establish how much power the rebel LEDs will need to not be cooled externally.

Basically it's going to take a while of research and experimentation.
would they not be nearly as bright as that one you showed me last month? Ithought the whole point of using one of those was that they are really bright. I'd prefer them to have some kind of metal plate like you mentioned exposed so that they can cool better while they run at near full power.

You said that they only use a small fraction of the power that the bulbs do though right, so how much heat can they produce?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Bone
Admin & Student

They would still be pretty bright, normally if you are within a range of their upper power limit you can still get some outstanding brightness out of them. You just have to keep them in a range as to they don't start to possibly change color. If you run them at too low of power for what they are capable of you may have color shifts which wouldn't be good. So I will have to establish at what levels they will be good for keeping their color wave lengths right while not causing too much of a heat issue.

Like I said, it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it all right. I figure I can run them around 600mA and still get exactly what I need out of them with a significant reduction in heat output but I will have to play around with it a little. They put out some serious light even at 350mA but I don't know that I want to run them at low, I'd like to stay in the 450-600 range but I need to make a couple test setups and see what the actual numbers give me.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
srp21y

When I was talking to you yesterday you daid that you may have figured out a way to get it to work without the heat problems. Have you been able to test that yet?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp21y View Post
When I was talking to you yesterday you daid that you may have figured out a way to get it to work without the heat problems. Have you been able to test that yet?
I have a good working theory on the subject but I need to test it out. Given my conversation with you earlier I am probably not going to have the time to work on it for a while. If all goes well though I will be implementing them on the trucks though once I establish how they will work for extended periods of time.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
srp21y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I have a good working theory on the subject but I need to test it out. Given my conversation with you earlier I am probably not going to have the time to work on it for a while. If all goes well though I will be implementing them on the trucks though once I establish how they will work for extended periods of time.
You told me about that, I hope all goes well with that.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Bone
Admin & Student

After doing a lot of testing with my current design I still had a lot of variance that I simply don't like so I'm working on a new design again. I might have the right design by next year.... lol.

I've been trying to work out a design that will give me good consistent results and not require me to have to hand pick parts to get exactly what I want. I have having to test the same part 10 times to find the one that will actually give me the right output.

So my new design includes getting away from those kinds of parts.