FloridaStreetScene

Go Back   FloridaStreetScene > Community Forums > Photos, Photography and Photoshop

Notices

Photos, Photography and Photoshop Post your photography, Photoshop, and general image related items here. Photoshop requests go here as well.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Bone
Admin & Student

Bone has a brilliant future 100-124Bone has a brilliant future 100-124

http://irfanview.com/

This is a free program that allows you to resize, crop change the quality of the image and so on all for free and a legal download. It's the best free program on the net IMO.

It's extremely simple to use, just simply browse the few menus it has and all the tools you could ever need are right there.

It's also a very low system intensive program, probably takes less to run this program than microsoft paint requires to run and results 10 fold quality.

Retains quality of images: Using this program you can be certain that you wont end up with jagged edges like all the other programs leave on reduced images of excessive bluring/blotching on enlarged images.

Addons: there are many plugins/addons to the program that let it do more. Some things it can do can only be done in other prgrams like Photoshop.

Download it today to use for all your image needs.

http://picasa.google.com/

I downloaded this program tonight just to see what it was about and I'll have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at it's performance. Adjusted several test images quite nicely and seems to perform as a medium quality photo processing program (advance/high being Photoshop).

If you don't want to learn a massive program like Photoshop then I would recommend this simple but rather well performing program. The current release is 2.7 and it seems to have a lot of improvements within itself. Older version that I have tried out in the past did fair at best but I'd have to say this would do a good/higher quality job than a lot of other programs out there, best of all it's FREE to download and use. Also you can use this program to upload your files to several different online print shops and order prints.

Give it a try and I think you'll find yourself surprised.

PS: They even have a linux version... Now that is quite nice.
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM has a brilliant future 100-124
Default Re: Image tool: Rezise, Crop, and more for free and legal

I use this all the time, for quick edits.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
GaTo

GaTo Has succeeded in this life (125-149)

i use both programs and they are great
Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
EXTREMUM

I've been using GIMP for a few months, and it works great. It's no Photoshop CS4, but it's a very powerful tool, for the budget-minded end-user.

www.gimp.org

Last edited by EXTREMUM; 11-30-2009 at 01:37 AM.
EXTREMUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Bone
Admin & Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMUM View Post
I've been using GIMP for a few months, and it works great. It's no Photoshop CS4, but it's a very powerful tool, for the budget-minded end-user.

www.gimp.org
gimp is good and all but it's mostly plugin this plugin that, you have to sort through crap loads of plugins to get it to do what you want.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
EXTREMUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
gimp is good and all but it's mostly plugin this plugin that, you have to sort through crap loads of plugins to get it to do what you want.
How is that different from Photoshop?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Bone
Admin & Student

you make a point but photoshop comes with the majority of plugins needed to do most work. Gimp is a constant battle to find a plugin to do as you need.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
EXTREMUM

It's an open source, freeware download. So, you can't expect it to be fully equipped with tricks 'n goodies, like it's $930+++ counterpart on a DVD. Every plugin you possibly need, is searchable on www.devaintArt.com. Aside from PSD files, it's compatible with all other Photoshop implements, allowing it to function side-by-side with its competitor.

Anyway, it's a FREE, yet worthy image tool for this thread. Good day, all.

Last edited by EXTREMUM; 11-30-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Alejo_NIN
What Is Vtek?

Alejo_NIN has a reputation beyond repute 200-225Alejo_NIN has a reputation beyond repute 200-225Alejo_NIN has a reputation beyond repute 200-225

i used to use that program back in '97 to watch pron downloaded from irc....hehehe...going thru 1000's of pics in seconds..

pretty good program IMO, i've never used it for anything else than opening files...

Canon 7D - 17-40mm f/4 L - 50mm f/1.8 - 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
Panasonic AG-HMC-40 - HD 1080p/720p
Sony PD170 SD + 0.7x WA
Rode Microphone
Alejo_NIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
EXTREMUM

Gimp has been around for that long? Jesus. From what you've just posted, the program has changed, dramatically.